Difference between revisions of "Reset ESXi Trial License"
(Created page with "__FORCETOC__ The ESXi 6 evaluation license is valid for 60 days and a free one can be obtained from VMware at anytime. Resetting the evaluation license provides continual acc...")
Latest revision as of 13:56, 16 July 2018
The ESXi 6 evaluation license is valid for 60 days and a free one can be obtained from VMware at anytime. Resetting the evaluation license provides continual access to all the features available.
- Turn on SSH and log in to the host.
- Remove the current license
rm -rf /etc/vmware/vmware.lic rm -rf /etc/vmwaare/license.cfg
- Copy over the new evaluation license, which is already on the host
cp -rf /etc/vmware/.#vmware.lic /etc/vmware/vmware.lic cp -rf /etc/vmware/.#license.cfg /etc/vmware/license.cfg
- Restart ESXi services
Update via CRON
- Create script accessible on your host. Folder such as /vmfs/volumes/<Storage_Name/
- Copy the following script
#!/bin/sh ## remove license echo 'Removing License' rm -r /etc/vmware/license.cfg rm -r /etc/vmware/vmware.lic ## get a new trial license echo 'Copying new license' cp /etc/vmware/.#license.cfg /etc/vmware/license.cfg cp /etc/vmware/.#vmware.lic /etc/vmware/vmware.lic ## restart services echo 'Restarting VPXA' /etc/init.d/vpxa restart
- Make the script executable
chmod +x /vmfs/volumes/<Storage_Name/reset.sh
- Update CRON
/bin/echo "* * 59 * * /vmfs/volumes/<Storage_Name/reset.sh" >> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root kill $(cat /var/run/crond.pid) crond
- Add the following above the 'exit 0' line of 'etc/rc.local.d/local.sh' to regenerate the job as ESXi clears the crontab on reboot
/bin/kill $(cat /var/run/crond.pid) /bin/echo "* * 59 * * /vmfs/volumes/<Storage_Name/reset.sh" >> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root crond